We are counting down the days (just 4!) to Saturday, Oct. 2, 2010, when we will gather again at our second annual Catholic Heritage Festival!
1. The day begins with Mass at 11 a.m. celebrated by Bishop Paul Loverde. Read more about why Bishop Loverde values the Catholic Heritage Festival in his latest column.
2. All throughout the day, at center stage, you’ll enjoy an array of entertainers including:
- Marie Miller, a young aspiring singer-song-writer from Virginia whose resume includes countless performances. Before being signed by Curb Records in August ’06, she was listed by Christianity Today.com as one of the “top ten independent artists to watch.”
- Latino band, Miserere will share their unique fusion of contemporary pop and Caribbean music.
- Kevin Heider, singer and self-taught guitarist and pianist will be performing his original music. Kevin was selected by Ingrid Michaelson as the winner of Gibson’s “The Way I Am Contest” on MusicNation.com. He also had the privilege of performing an original song (“Hope for Our Children”) at the Embassy of the Republic of Guyana in March of 2009.
- Bolivian dancers.
- Korean drummers from St. Paul Chung.
3. For the kids, we have a delightful array of games and activities including: face painting, sack races, Ladder Toss, Dizzy Bat Race, three-legged race, egg and spoon race, water bucket race, laser tag, a moon bounce and an inflatable slide.
4. Food lovers can experience the delectable sampling of cuisines from El Salvador, Mexico, Argentina, India and Western Africa and, if you just want down-home American-style cooking, the Knights of Columbus will be serving up some of the best hamburger and hotdogs around.
5. For soccer enthusiasts, join us for the mini “World Cup” tournament with teams from around the diocese, including our very own Arlington Diocesan seminarians. If you still want to play and haven’t been assigned a team, check in with Coordinator Sean Monogue on the day of the event.
And if that is not enough to entice you, vendors will be selling everything from religious art to homemade jewelry.
Hope to see you this Saturday. Remember to bring folding chairs and blankets; cash for food and vendors and a $5 donation per family. If you have any questions, call the Office for Family Life at 703-841-2550 and visit our website at www.catholicheritagefestival.org.